Failed Back Surgery Treatment
Failed back surgery syndrome (FBSS) is a term has been used to describe the condition that patients experience when they continue suffering from pain and other negative symptoms after spine surgery. Studies have found that failed back surgery can happen to 30-40% of back surgery patients. In a Canadian study it was revealed that patients who had undergone two or more spine surgeries became disabled and were unable to return to work.
Reasons for Failed Back Surgery:
These are some of the reasons for failed back surgery
- Spinal fusion failure
- Spinal fusion did not heal
- Post-operation infection
- Spinal stenosis
- Formation of fibrosis (scar tissue)
- Instability of the vertebras above and below the operated area
- Nerve injury
- Recurrent disc herniation
Symptoms of Failed Back Surgery:
These are some of the symptoms of failed back surgery
- Dull and aching pain in back, neck and/or legs
- Abnormal sensations such as numbness, tingling, sharp and stabbing pain
- Limited mobility
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle spasm
- Inability to walk or function normally
- Dependency on pain medications to manage symptoms
Treatment for Failed Back Surgery
Most failed back surgery patients can experience relief with our treatment approach. Feel free to contact us to learn how we can help you.
We use the following approaches to relieve failed back surgery pain:
- ASTR® Tools: Our doctors use a variety of ASTR® tools to release scar tissue and myofascial restriction, which occurs with any surgeries.
- Release muscle trigger points and hypertonicity: it is very common with any surgery or trauma for the muscle to start spasming or tightening as a protective mechanism. Using the ASTR® maneuver, patients can experience relief from muscle hypertonicity.
- Special exercise program to improve daily activities and functioning.
- Special instructions on how to speed up the recovery time.
- Cold Laser Therapy: Tissue inflammation and inability of the body to heal are common with failed back surgery. We use cold laser in order to speed up the healing process and decrease soft tissue inflammation.
Call us today to start the journey of pain relief!